2012 New York Musical Theatre Festival.
On the face of it, not too promising? Too depressing? Wrong! I was entertained and enthralled for 90 + minutes, not least by Marcel's music (He also served as conductor and keyboard player at the NY performance). A few particulars I would like to single out:
- Marcel suited his music to the material. Sometimes gritty, sometimes poignant, sometimes rhythmic and driving, it always had a certain disciplined simplicity.
- There were 2 keyboards used in the chamber ensemble, a grand piano and a synthesizer. Marcel exploited the possibilities of this combination.
- There was a choir, used at just the right moments.
So how does one get a production into the Festival and what does the Festival do for the production?
- One submits a score and $75 and hopes for the best. There are many submissions.
- The Festival "smooths out the bumps" of producing in NYC but doesn't actually financially support its productions.
Here are some useful links:
- Project Guide and FAQ http://www.nymf.org/Page.222.Next+Link+Project+FAQ
Give it a try. Do let me know if this blog has been useful.