Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tango Dreams = a composer's dream

Here's something to keep warm the heart of a composer and keep the creative juices flowing: David Earle of Dancetheatre David Earle has created a ballet based on Tango Dreams, my composition for string trio and accordion. And it is a wonder to behold How did this happen? Before I explain, please have a look at the ballet on another wonderful concept = Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/voiceafire#p/a/u/1/J_EYoECrD4s
Truth is, in all happenings there is a chain of causation. I believe this because I need to believe it. I need to believe that my efforts vis a vis getting my music out there and performed have had a result.
Here's the chain of causation:

  • I meet Joseph Petric, accordionist extraordinaire. How? I don't remember exactly. Probably after a concert.
  • Joseph, who somehow knows my music and is a proseiitizer for the accordion, asks me to write a piece. I write Serenity for accordion and clarinet - a great piece (I think) - which he performs in England. 
  • On the basis of this (I suppose) Joseph asks me to compose a piece for accordion and string trio - since he is performing with the Adaskin Trio.
  • I compose Tango Dreams, since I have become enthralled with tango dancing - but that's another story.
  • About 15 years later I decide that, having composed a number of theater pieces which are undeservedly ( I believe) languishing after one or two performances, that I should take matters into my own hands.
  • I found a music theater company called Voice Afire Pocket Opera and Cabaret and pay substantial money to attend Ontario Contact - and later, APAP, Chamber Music America, etc.
  • David Earle of Dancetheatre David Earle had never heard of me till I attended Ontario Contact.  I was trying to sell The Pocket Madama Butterfly aka Butterfly's Trouble as well as a few other productions, but not specifically Tango Dreams.
  • At Ontario Contact Dancetheatre David Earle has a booth. 
  • Since nobody - and I do mean nobody - seemed at all interested in my particular booth at Ontario Contact, I began wandering and in the course of my wandering chatted with the people manning David Earle's booth. Not David himself, mind you. One person, whose name I am embarrassed to say I no longer remember, is particularly encouraging.
  • I send the score of Tango Dreams to my personal contact at Dancetheatre David Earle
  • About 3 years later voila! There is a Tango Dreams ballet.
Life is about human contacts. Comments? 

No comments:

Post a Comment