Saturday, October 2, 2010

Arts Midwest Conference

"It wouldn't matter if it were the greatest piece ever written.  We wouldn't record it".

Years ago, that's what was said to me by an A&R man (Artists and Repertoire Man - do they still exist?)  at RCA Victor (that doesn't still exist for sure).  At the time, one of the world's great string quartets and a great harpist was set to record my harp quintet.  On a whim, I had called RCA Victor - in the days when people actually answered phone calls - and that was the response.

After a long and varied career in music, the words of that A&R man still stick in my craw.  This blog is about my response to those words.

Over the last fifteen years, I have composed and/or arranged a series of music theatre pieces.  Now I have abandoned the performance part of my career to spend my time composing and promoting these shows.  Voice Afire Pocket Opera and Cabaret is the name of my production company.  www.voiceafire.com

Most performing musicians know a little about the business side of putting on concerts or booking tours.  Neither did I.  But I am learning.  As part of my learning process, last month I attended the Arts Midwest Conference http://www.artsmidwest.org/programs/mac  Along with hundreds of others I had a booth in a huge convention centre in Indianapolis.  Here's a picture of my booth.


Presenters, the people who put on concert series, were there in their hundreds to make contact with performers.

In three days, six hours a day, sitting in front of my booth, not one presenter stopped and asked, "Who are you? Tell me about your show."  Not one.  Unfortunately, this would seem to prove the words of my A&R man.  After all, my shows had all been performed numerous times.  Audiences loved them, performers loved them, and if I do say so myself, they are very fine.

I used my free time, there was lots of it, to wonder the hall and make contacts and learn.  Here's what I learned:

  • Preparation is all important.  Contact Presenters before hand and make appointments.  At least, let them know you exist.
  • Arts trade shows are all about networking.  Not art.  About personal relationships.  "I'll hire you if I know you and if I trust you".
  • Nobody wants to take a risk.  Everybody wants a sure bet.  The problem is how to become a sure bet. 
I was saved from utter despair by 2 things:
  • Matt Brown, another new comer to the convention, was ignored almost as completely as I was.  Matt is an absolutely wonderful performer of traditional Appalachian folk music.  I know this because I heard his showcase.  Why weren't Presenters flocking to his booth?  www.brownsdream.us
  • I had the support and encouragement of four veteran Arts Managers:
    • Kenneth Wentworth at http://www.jwentworth.com/
    • Laurelle Favreau at http://www.gamisim.com/
    • Annick-Patricia Carriere at www.stationbleue.com
    • Manuel Prestamo at www.pmiarts.com

Special thanks to all the above.

Readers, please send comments, suggestions, additions, etc.  My next trade shows will be APAP in New York   www.apapconference.org/  and then Chamber Music America http://www.chamber-music.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment