Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Catch 22

A Catch-22, coined by Joseph Heller in his novel Catch-22, is a logical paradox arising from a situation in which an individual needs something that can only be acquired by not being in that very situation; therefore, the acquisition of this thing becomes logically impossible.

Tour ready: This is the very situation of a musician trying to tour, i.e. you won't be hired to tour unless you have already toured.  For instance, the people at the Ontario Presenting Network http://www.ccio.on.ca/ told me that to showcase at Ontario Contact I would need to be "tour ready." That means that I would have already have toured and have performed in at least 10 different and geographically distant places. And not only that! I would need reviews from all these places. Thing is, if I were already that successful, why would I need to showcase at Contact Ontario? Same from Jeunesses Musicales http://www.jeunessesmusicales.com/en/: "We would love to help you tour. When can I see your next show on tour?"
Keep in mind that one-offs (single concerts) don't count.


Next level: If I am already successful enough to be touring, why do I need these people? Here is an answer from a seminar at Arts Midwest, this concerning arts management: "We are here to take you to the next level." The problem remains:
how do I get to level one?


Money: As always, money is the answer. Or, as an arts mangers told me,
"Become a not-for-profit corporation, build a board, and the board will raise money." That particular arts mgr.has obviously never dealt with the problem of trying to get a board to raise money: subject for another blog. Or the psychology of a not-for-profit board: another blog. What would money pay for? With money I could rent the halls to create my own tour. I could hire a publicity agent and pay for publicity to publicize the tour. I could have money up front to pay for the expenses of rehearsal. I could guarantee payments to performers.


That requires a lot of money! In the absence of large amounts of cash, I need a little help from my friends.


One more necessary item: a logo. Thanks to Bjay Nathan in Toronto. Like it?







No comments:

Post a Comment