Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Symphony Space

Speaking of concert venues in New York, there's Symphony Space on Broadway at 96th St., a very respectable venue indeed. www.symphonyspace.org Actually, in Symphony Space there are two halls. From the website:
Our 756-seat Peter Jay Sharp Theatre with proscenium stage and fixed seating is available for rental 7 days a week 9:30 am to 12 am (Sundays after 2 pm only). Our 168-seat Leonard Nimoy Thalia with platform stage is available for rental 7 days a week 9:30 am to 12 am (Sundays until 2 pm only).

I'm renting Thalia Hall on June 6. 2011. Anagnoson and Kinton, duo pianists,  www.pianoduo.com and actor Colin Fox will be performing my The Art of Love / Into the Labyrinth. there will be visuals by Ron Hurwitz. infocus@outer-net.com



This piece is a case in point for how the music business really works - or doesn't work. When
I first joined the Toronto Symphony I made it my point to meet important people in the music business - my connection with the TSO gave me that opportunity. I talked with conductors, performers, music publishers, etc. My question: "How does a composer make it in this business." All of them said, "Spend some time promoting yourself, but not too much. Keep composing. If your work is good, it will get played. Find a champion" That's romantic baloney.

And so I'm renting Symphony Space (Thalia Hall) to get a complete performance of what I
think is my best piece, The Art of Love / Into the Labyrinth, written eight years ago. It will cost me in the neighborhood of $3000 or more. That includes $1200 to rent the hall, $600 to rent and move a 2nd piano, and other costs related to a screen and microphones and publicity.  Anagnoson and Kinton, bless their hearts, are paying their own way down as is Colin Fox, as is Ron Hurwitz.

Music makes it not on its own merits but with some of your own cash and with help from your friends.
Do check out Youtube for last June's performance of excerpts from The Art of Love at Symphony Space:
http://www.youtube.com/user/voiceafire#p/u/4/a6H3G1oTnX8

1 comment:

  1. Symphony Space encourages innovative and excellence presented work. This place is a broad community. Symphony Space Theater is also most known place.

    ReplyDelete